If you have a large number of equipment zones to create, it is much faster to import them from flat CSV files than it is to create them in the Equipment Manager user interface. If you have all the mapping data available to you in Excel or text files, you can use this data to quickly create excel files for import into Events2HVAC.
** IMPORTANT ** Importing items via CSV can corrupt your database if data is not formatted correctly. Make sure you have a database backup before you import files.
Exporting to CSV Files
You’ll need to first export out from Events2HVAC to CSV file all your existing configuration data for your equipment. If you haven't created any equipment zones, it is highly recommended that you create and verify several zones first in the Equipment Manager before trying to export your files. This will allow you to see the zone's parameter values so you can build out your new zones.
Export Rooms & Equipment
Export the Actions
You’ll need to export a file for each type of action and interface you are using (e.g. BACnet/StartStop actions, etc).
Adding/Updating Items in Excel
Once you have all the exported CSV files created, you can open these CSV files up in excel and add the new entries and update existing ones, keeping with the same format. You may want to remove the existing entries from the file so that in the import is only for the added items.
You’ll need to make sure you have any NEW room and building names available from your event provider’s system (e.g. EMS, CollegeNet, etc) since it will look for a matching room/building name when you import the room list back in.
I would recommend setting the “DisableScheduling” field to TRUE for the new equipment zones that you are creating. This will prevent new zones from becoming active after you import them. You will still need to verify end-to-end your final equipment actions to your controlled devices before you enable the zone.
For each device interface action, there is a help reference that explains all the parameters that are exported out to the csv file. Example:
Updating Equipment Names
The EquipmentID parameter is included in the export file of the equipment export. This allows the equipment name to be updated. If the EquipmentID field is blank in the equipment import file, the import will first look for an existing equipment item that has the same name to update, otherwise the equipment item will be added as a new item.
Importing New Items
Once you are ready to import data back in:
- Backup your equipment config and database for good measure in case something goes wrong or you need to start over. Invalid or corrupt data in the spreadsheet can cause problems in the database. http://help.events2hvac.com/#!WordSourceNoSVN/exportequipment.htm
- Double check your data files.
- Export each file out as CSV in excel (Save As – CSV format).
- Import each file separately
- Import equipment CSV – Verify new equipment is created in Equipment manager. You may need to hit the refresh button on the equipment treeview.
- Import rooms – Verify rooms are mapped correctly to equipment. http://help.events2hvac.com/#!WordSourceNoSVN/importingequipmentro.htm
- Import actions – verify actions come in correctly to each equipment item. http://help.events2hvac.com/#!WordSourceNoSVN/importingequipmentac.htm
The import process will create any new equipment zones that don’t exist already and update the ones that do. If you want to just import the new equipment and actions, you can remove the existing equipment, rooms, and actions from the import files.
If there is a problem with the zones after the import, you can import your equipment configuration (*.eqp) that you saved before you started exporting to restore everything back to the original. Or, you can restore the database.
Remember to backup your database and/or you equipment configuration after you complete the import process so you will be protected from any future unexpected data loss.
Other Help References: